Malta, over the last few years, has come to the forefront, for the establishment of EU insurance entities, being both a tax effective and low cost environment. In addition to captives and direct writing insurance companies for large multi-national companies, this jurisdiction is further establishing itself as the EU cell captive domicile of choice.
The Artex management team includes experienced practitioners covering the full remit of services required for managing insurance risks for clients throughout Europe.
Total Gross premiums written in the general and long-term insurance markets have increased by 35.9% from €2,828m in 2014 to €3,844m in 2015.
STATUS: Independent EU member since 2004
Time Zone: CET
Language: English and Maltese (official)
Law: Common and Civil Law
Currency: Euro €
Corporation tax: 35% which can be reduced to a net effective rate of 5%.
Major sectors: Financial Services, tourism, gaming, maritime
Insurance regulator: Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA)
- Status within EU permits greater freedom than traditional offshore locations
- 70 currently active double taxation treaties
- VAT applies to goods and services in Malta
- Excellent communications, including daily air links to the UK and other European jurisdictions
- Protected Cell Company legislation in place
- Re-domiciliation legislation
- Comparatively low cost EU jurisdiction
- MFSA positive approach to regulation of the insurance industry
- Stable Economy